When it comes to delivering high-quality audio, understanding and measuring the details is key. In order to offer a great audio experience, we’ve attempted to be scientific in measuring and refining our product’s audio quality. This includes tools like Room EQ Wizard (REW) and the Umik-1 microphone. Here’s a look at our process.
The Role of Room EQ Wizard (REW):
REW is software that offers a wide range of tools to measure and analyze room acoustics and the audio playback quality of devices. It includes:
- Frequency Response Measurement: By analyzing the frequency response, we can identify peaks and dips, allowing us to make adjustments to ensure a flat and neutral playback.
- Time Domain Analysis: This helps us understand reflections and room modes, offering insights into how sound behaves in various spaces.
- Distortion Analysis: REW identifies and measures harmonic distortion, enabling us to refine our product for the best sound reproduction.
The Precision of the Umik-1 Microphone:
The Umik-1 is a calibrated measurement microphone that ensures accurate sound capturing. When paired with REW, it provides:
- Calibrated Measurements: Each Umik-1 microphone comes with a unique calibration file, ensuring that the measurements are accurate and reliable.
- Directional Clarity: Its omnidirectional capture ensures that it collects sound data from all angles, giving a comprehensive sound profile.
- Compatibility: The Umik-1 seamlessly integrates with REW, making the measurement process smooth and efficient.
Our Testing Process:
- Setup: We set up our product in a controlled environment, reducing external noise interference. The Umik-1 microphone is strategically placed to capture sound data.
- Calibration: Using the unique calibration file of the Umik-1, we ensure that our measurements are accurate and consistent.
- Measurement: With REW, we conduct a series of tests, capturing data on frequency response, harmonic distortions, and room effects.
- Analysis: Post-measurement, we analyze the data to identify areas of improvement.
- Iteration: Audio improvement is a constant journey. Based on our analysis, we make necessary adjustments to our product and retest, ensuring that we consistently deliver the best audio quality we can.
Example of the Process:
This is a screenshot of a frequency response test where the green line is a down firing 1000 W sealed SVS subwoofer in an open living room on the right side of a fireplace and the other four lines are our down firing 500 W sealed Hidden Subwoofer X1. There are two interesting points of note, the red dip at approximately 18 HZ and the dip of all four lines at 30 HZ exactly. The first dip of the red line was determined to be due to an external noise in the testing environment because it didn’t happen in the other three. The dip at 30 HZ was due to settings on the Onkyo receiver we were using. Once these factors were isolated and resolved the graphs flattened out properly.
In the world of audio, details matter. By leveraging the power of Room EQ Wizard and the precision of the Umik-1 microphone, we’ve committed ourselves to a rigorous process of testing and refinement. This ensures that our product delivers awesome audio to your home.